Monday, July 11, 2011

To pay or not to pay- that is the question

Had another lunch date yesterday with a guy from the internet. The date was meh. He just isn't the personality type I want to spend much time around. By the time an hour had passed, I was really for it to end, which is pretty unusual for me.

The date did bring up one question, though. We met at Panera Bread. I say this so you know that we ordered our food with a cashier, then sat down. Well, he ordered ahead of me. When the cashier asked if we were together or separate, he quickly affirmed- a little too strongly- "Separate!"

Now, let me state my position on this before I tell you how I reacted. Although I am a good southern woman who believes men should be chivalrous, I also am an independent woman. I never go into a date expecting a man should pay. I don't feel entitled to it. Especially when it is meeting for the first time. On every date I go on, I always offer to pay my portion.

BUT. Here's the but. I've never had a guy not offer to pay, so I was kind of caught off guard! Haha, teaches me to be a little southern belle, hmm? I don't know, I just feel like it would have been a nice sign for him to at least offer, especially considering he ordered first.

The truth is, it wouldn't have changed the fact that I wasn't just that into him, so nothing gained, nothing lost, I guess.

What do you think, ladies? Do you expect/want men to pay? Do any fellas read the blog? Do you want women to offer to pay? Would you let her?

No comments:

Post a Comment