Saturday, June 4, 2011

Stumbling over online dating

Alright folks, approximately 3 weeks after finishing dating detox, I am officially driving myself crazy, with an assist by online dating.

Based on past experiences and this one, I have determined that it takes approximately 3 days into online dating to become disillusioned. Let me explain to you some of the marketing and business model of these companies.

Online dating companies almost always have some level of a free profile registration. it is a boon to their business to be able to say that they have a large database. More fish in the sea, if you will. So you do that, and generally you are allowed to perform some sort of search function, or receive "matches" of some kind so you are able to see the types of wonderful people you will be able to meet, if only you join their service. Until you subscribe, you can only admire them from afar, but you will not be able to communicate to a level where you can actually meet unless you pay.

SO, if you do see some nice young men you are interested in, you can join and take a shot. Here is what they don't tell you, but those experienced in the online dating realm are well aware of. You're also taking a gamble on whether or not the people you are interested in are actually paying members as well. Because if they aren't, even if you are, you still won't be able to actually connect with them.

Therein lies the rub! I approximate it takes 3 days for you to join and realize the people you're actually interested in either aren't interested in you or aren't subscribed. Sometimes it feels like the recycling symbol- You're chasing one, he's chasing another, another is chasing you. And round and round it goes.

Do you sense a hint of pessimism in my tone? That bums me out. That's really not me at all. I'm letting this get to me, and that has to stop. I think I'm unintentionally putting all my proverbial eggs of meeting anyone in the basket of online dating, and that's dumb. And frankly, that's not WHAT PATTI SAID. :)

So now it's time to employ other methods. I'm thinking specifically of the 5 second stare and friend-referral, soon to be documented. So I will end on this note- do you know someone who you think I might be interested in getting to know and vice versa? Holla atcha girl!

1 comment: