Saturday, April 30, 2011

Non-Negotiable #2- Respectful

Non-Negotiable #2- RESPECTFUL

Men I date must be respectful to:
-Me
-Himself
-His family
-My family
-His friends
-My friends
-His coworkers
-People in the service industry
-People who he disagrees with
-Etc....

I realize this should probably be a given for all relationships, but I feel the need to state it and expand upon it given some of my past experiences.

Once upon a time, I dated a guy and soon after we started dating, I noticed he was very disrespectful to his roommate. Shoulda been a red flag. Then we went on a road trip with some of his best friends and I saw how he treated them. Another red flag. So when the day (quickly) came that he was treating me disrespectfully, I shouldn't have been surprised. I forgave/ignored it away as long as I could, until it was just impossible.

But to me, respect also extends beyond the inner circle and is truly a deep-seeded character trait that impacts how they treat everyone, especially people or ideas that are outside their circle of experience. I love to broaden my horizons and learn about new ideas, and people who are closed off to that type of thing usually are so because of a lack of respect.

Also, it's so important to respect yourself. Men who don't respect themselves will often take it out on those around them, so a healthy self-respect is a foundational trait indicates maturity and stability.

Only 3 more!

No comments:

Post a Comment