Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Non-Negotiable #4- Active lifestyle

About six months ago, I was setting health goals for myself and found a succinct way to phrase a major one- "Be healthy enough to enjoy the activities that I want to participate in."

Anyone who knows me well would tell you that if I can possibly be outside, I will be. I love the feeling of the sun on my skin and soaking up that vitamin D. Hiking, photography, walking, gardening and dancing are major parts of my life. Because of this I know that it is important to have a partner who values an active lifestyle as much as I do.

Sure there are times for lazing around, but I want to be with someone who doesn't wait for life to pass them by, but wants to get out and enjoy it in whatever form moves them. I'm independent enough to be able to enjoy these things on my own, but have found that being with someone who doesn't enjoy an active lifestyle can become lonely.

An active lifestyle isn't just exclusively physical, either. I am always trying to learn new things, and it is important to me that my partner also take the initiative to push themselves and grow in experience and wisdom.

He doesn't have to enjoy exactly what I do; it would be even greater if he had his own hobbies and interests that keep his mind and body active. In a world where it is easy to stay glued to your couch, TV and video games, I want a guy who wants more than that.

Only ONE MORE non-negotiable. And beyond that, only TWO MORE days of dating detox! Who'da thunk it. I definitely have some thoughts as this time wraps up about the pro's and con's of shelving the idea of dating for a month. Stay tuned in!

1 comment: