Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Non-Negotiable #5- Shared values

In the (almost) words of Vanessa Williams, I went and saved the easiest for last. To me, this is the hands down easiest non-negotiable to identify. My partner needs to share the same values I do. Primarily I think of this is in religion and practice thereof, but I think it also in other major facets of life (political, financial).

If you can't tell, I ascribe to the theory that similarities in foundational issues is important in relationships (thanks Dr. Neil Clark Warren). A wise friend once said that the world is hard enough on its own- you don't need to come home to someone who is going to disagree with and antagonize you.

To me this is one of the trickier non-negotiables. How do I find the balance of meeting someone similar yet unique and independent? Such are the questions of life. And as is the case with many of those questions, I hope to know it when I see it.

Is the public in agreement with me? Do you value similarities over differences, or was Paula Abdul right when she danced with an animated cat and declared that opposites attract?

No comments:

Post a Comment